What to do Before, During, and After Power Outages
Have you ever found yourself sitting there and wishing for the next power outage to come sooner than later? You haven’t? Well, you’re not alone. Few people actually enjoy such events. Power outages are always a hassle, regardless of whether they are planned or unexpected. As the top electric repair service provider in Mobile, AL, Hansen Super Techs has compiled this guide to help you prepare for the next power outage. Read on to learn what you should do before, during, and after a power outage.
Be Prepared for a Power Outage
Everybody should be prepared in case of a power outage, regardless of where they live. This is even more important when you have young children or family members with disabilities, as their care is often closely tied to electrical appliances. Taking these steps will help you maintain a sense of calm and safety during power outages. By following the steps down below, you will gift your future self a sense of peace and calm should a power outage occur in your home.
Prepare Your Power Outage Kit
Look, you can never predict when your electricity will go out. When that happens, you will most likely call an electric repair service and they will take some time to arrive at the scene and restore the electricity. In case of an emergency, we highly recommend that you prepare a kit of essential supplies. Here are some things you want to have readily available:
- First Aid Kit
- Bottled Water
- Flashlights & Batteries
- Non-perishable foods
- Manual Can Opener
- Special Needs Items
- Battery-operated Radio
Put these items in an easily accessible spot and label the box or bag clearly. During a power outage, you can just reach for them and have everything you need at your fingertips. Trust us, taking these preparatory steps will save a lot of stress during unforeseen circumstances.
There’s a Power Outage – What Now?
So the power is out; what now? Do you call an electric repair service tech in Mobile, AL? Our suggestion is that you consider one of the following options first:
- To find out if the power outage was planned or not, check local news or updates from the local power authority. Depending on when it happened, you might just have to wait it out.
- Pulled out your prepared power outage kit and make use of those items, or be ready to use if the need arises.
- During an outage that you weren’t expecting, check your circuit breaker for blown fuses. The only way to restore power in this situation is with the assistance of an electric repair service tech.
- You may want to check with your neighbors to see if they have power. Once you have determined whether it is an issue that affects the entire neighborhood or only your house, you can take appropriate action.
- When there is a downed power line around your house or neighborhood, call 911 immediately.
In the event of a power outage, it is vital to stay calm. Call the electrical service technicians and avoid panicking as that will create additional chaos.
The Power is Back On – Do I Need to do Anything?
As soon as the power comes back on, you and your household members must take several safety precautions.
- Any spoiled food should be thrown out
- In case your freezer is thawed, check your food for spoilage. Generally, if the temperature inside is below 40°F, the food will still be safe for consumption.
- Whenever you see downed lines, keep your kids and pets away from them.
- Restock any items you used up in your Power Outage Kit in preparation for future power outages
Though you may be tempted to attempt to repair your power outage issues yourself, we highly advise you against it. Read our blog to learn why you should leave these electric repairs to the pros.
Top Electric Repair Service in Mobile, AL
Is your power out and you’re wondering what you should do? A call to an electrical repair tech wouldn’t hurt, especially when Hansen Super Techs are always on top of the latest events in the community. With the help of our seasoned team members, your electricity will be restored in no time! Call us today at (251) 227-4441.